26.11.11

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Now I don't want to write something silly, along the lines of: "I made this soup and I didn't particularly like it but I think you should make it", but I am. I forgot how little I like soups that have a thin broth and then chunks of things floating in them. If you like that, than this is totally a great soup.
There's broccoli, potatoes, onions, and garlic involved.
And cheddar, lots of cheddar.
 It's a nice, cheesy, garlicky soup for the winter. And the broccoli is just so gosh-darn pretty. I didn't want to say it too often because I didn't want it to blush. Because who wants red broccoli, let me ask you?
 You have to eat this soup with a spoon and a fork. Hows that for crazy? You know, you want to spice things up at dinner. No more boring soup! This one needs a spoon and a fork!
(I'm making a joke.)
(Maybe.)

Broccoli Cheddar Soup
serves 4
adapted from Fresh365

1 medium head broccoli, cut into small florets
2 tbsps olive oil
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground mustard
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk (I used skim)
2 cups coarsely grated sharp Cheddar cheese
6-7oz firm tofu (apx 1/2 block), cut into chunks

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli, and cook until just tender, 2-3 minutes. 
Drain, reserving 3 cups water. Rinse broccoli with cold water to stop cooking, and set aside.

In a pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add potato, onion, and garlic. 
Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add cumin, salt, pepper, mustard and flour, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. 
Add reserved 3 cups broccoli water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer (partially covered), until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. 
Add soy milk and Cheddar, stirring to melt.

Transfer 3 c soup to a blender, and add tofu (this may need to be done in 2 batches). Puree, until smooth. Return to pot. 
Add florets and cook over medium heat, until heated, 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment