30.10.11

Chai Spiced Pancakes

 Have I mentioned that I'm really into infusing tea flavor into recipes? And that I really like pancakes? There's not a lot to describe with these pancakes. Use your favorite recipe and throw in some chai tea and spices, and you've got something special.
 I was inspired by Joy the Baker's version, but I used the Tassajara Bread Book's recipe for pancakes. Joy says to directly mix in the chai tea. Which I did, but while I got a hint of chai, it seemed a bit lost. I think the flavor needs to be more concentrated. I want to try this recipe again, but use a technique outlined in the cupcake project. Stef says the key is to steep the tea in butter, and then strain to get tea-infused butter. I like. I'll update this whenever I get around to Chai Pancakes 2.0. For now, these aren't half-bad.

Chai Spiced Pancakes
serves 6.
adapted from tassajara recipe and joy the baker.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
pinch of ground cloves
pinch ground ginger
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup black chai tea
1/2 cup oil

Whisk baking flour, baking powder, salt, spices, and sugar together.
Beat milk, tea, and oil into beaten egg yolks.
Stiffly beat egg whites.
Combine wet mixture into dry until just blended. Then fold in egg whites.

Cook and flip and do as pancakes do.


No comments:

Post a Comment