28.1.12

Zucchini Squares

 I have a confession to make.
...No, it's not that I have trouble spelling zucchini (true, though. Along with broccoli.)
 I used Bisquick in this recipe. For those who don't know me, I have been called a food snob. Fairly often. That means I don't use cake mix, I don't make microwaved baked potatoes, and that at the age of seven I walked into a family friend's kitchen and correctly identified the process being applied to a pan just emptied of food (answer: balsamic reduction). So Bisquick is a no-no. I had to go across the street to the non-gourmet supermarket to even find it. Did you know Bisquick isn't refrigerated? It just sits there in its yellow jug on the shelf next to the cocoa powder (Not organic? Not fair trade?) and the highly processed white sugar.
 But the recipe was intriguing, because it's kind of a focaccia with whole zucchini on top and inside, instead of the traditional loaf with grated zucchini. And I wasn't in the mood to remaster the recipe to fit my level of food snobbery. So, surprising myself, I went to that non-gourmet supermarket and brought back a container of Bisquick.
I added a lot of parsley though. And it was very good. A bit sweet for something savory, but fluffy and lovely cut into squares to munch on ironically with the friends who make the most fun of your food snobbery and would never expect the recipe involved a buttercup yellow plastic jug.

There was some Bisquick left over. I made pancakes. But I added some buckwheat. Even my father, who raised me up to such a level of whole grains and no sulphates, didn't notice the hint of hydrogenated dehydrated vegetable oil.

Zucchini Squares 
adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

note: if you do want to make this and rid yourself of Bisquick madness, I expect you can substitute in 2 cups of flour, 2 tsps baking powder, and 1 tsp salt, fairly adequately. I haven't tried it though, so don't take my word for it.

5 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cups Bisquick
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini medallions
coarse sea salt, for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, cheese, parsley, salt, oregano and garlic powder. Whisk in the onion, and then the Bisquick. With a rubber spatula, gently stir in the sliced zucchini, being careful not to break up the slices. Turn the mixture into the pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, to taste.
Bake until puffed and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool to warm room temperature before cutting into squares. Will last 4-5 days in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment