21.7.11

FoodFoodFood

So.
I'm Lola, I'm a high school student in New York, and I love to cook.
I've been vegetarian since birth (well, before that, even), so everything here will be vegetarian.
I haven't really gotten to the point where I make my own recipes much, so most of these recipes will be adapted, but my, won't they be adapted. I like to fiddle with recipes to the point of almost breaking them, but don't worry, I'll only be posting recipes that have turned out well.
I don't like fussy cooking, though I am lured in by exotic ingredients. Most things used here you'll be able to get at a specialty store or use a substitute, and I will post almost nothing that will take over an hour to make. I turn the page if a recipe calls for a candy thermometer; I'm not so precise, and if something won't work if it's a degree off, then it's not worth making in my book. I also don't have an affinity for butter, so there won't often be much of that.
All the pictures here are mine and are shot on a Canon Elph digital camera unless otherwise noted.
I hope you all enjoy, and I think I'll kick this blog off with some good old Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Mini Chocolate Chip cookies, that is. Did I mention I like small things? I don't know why, but they just get so cute!

I made these for a party and they got eaten up so very very fast. Mini chocolate chips make everything taste better. I'm of the crunchy over chewy type of cookie camp, just as I prefer crunchy peanut butter to creamy. And dark chocolate to milk. 
Really, there isn't much to say here. Chocolate chip cookies are very easy to make, and are so very rewarding. 
 I used our kitchen-aid mixer for some kitchen aid, but it isn't needed. In fact, I want to go back to doing things by hand, because I think it is a very important skill set to learn.
 These cookies bake quite fast, since they're thin and small, so keep an eye on the oven. It also means they cool fast, so you can grab a bite just a minute after they are pulled out, warm and comforting.
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from East Village Kitchen

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup mini dark chocolate chips 

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Beat together butter, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl with an electric mixer or your muscled arms until fluffy, then beat in the egg and vanilla. 
Add flour and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips (which can be more or less than 1 cup, to your liking).
Drop barely rounded 1/2 teaspoons of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets and bake in batches in middle of oven until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. 
Transfer cookies to a rack and scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment